Tuesday, March 25, 2014

When in Boston, Go to Fenway Park


When you think of saving money, Fenway Park is usually not on the list, but let me explain. I took my girlfriend to a Red Sox game and paid $40 for a pair of tickets—they were worth every penny.

First of all, I’m not the biggest baseball fan in the world. I think that obesity is, in most cases, a self-inflicting disease and I don’t think a sport in which obese people excel at can be called a sport. Nevertheless, my girlfriend loves baseball and is a huge Red Sox fan so I surprised her with a pair of tickets. It was both our first time at Fenway, and she seemed a little more excited than I was.

When we first entered Fenway, the place buzzed with excitement. People wearing red and white shirts pounded beers and hot dogs left and right. Everybody looked happy and glad they were there. Even I felt it, as my girlfriend looked and smiled at me. I’ve been to baseball games before in Chicago and Kansas City but they never made me feel anything. A Red Sox game in Fenway Park brought me joy.

I was ready to forget about work and school, and just enjoy these next couple hours. It was now time for the national anthem. We stood up, and I looked around the stadium. I saw the Green Monster stands and an American Flag the size of half a football field hanging from the top of the bleachers. I saw the stands filled with people removing their hats with smiles on their face. I saw thousands of camera flashes going off within split seconds of each other. Once the woman started singing and everyone at Fenway Park joined in, for the first time in my life, I was proud and thankful to be an American


The game started after the applause. Even though we sat in the cheapest seats, we saw all of the action and the players perfectly. As we were rooting on the Red Sox, time seemed to fly by. It was the only baseball game that I’ve actually gotten into, and this wasn’t due to the teams playing. Coming into the game I had no alliances, but the atmosphere in the stadium made me feel like I was a part of the game—I wanted the Red Sox to win. It was an experience that was well worth a trip to Boston.

Have you had a good experience at Fenway before? Tell me all about it in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment